Saturday, October 24, 2009

Super yummy tomato sauce

Normally, I have lots of spaghetti sauce awaiting me in the freezer. This year, I froze way over 50 pounds of peaches, so I had to forgo the tomato sauce. Tonight, I was panic'd to not find ANY so I had to become creative with my own. It turned out really good and I think it would also make a fabulous bruchetta topping!

2 can's of Italian tomatoes with onion, basil, and garlic drained
1 red pepper
1 handful of fresh spinach or a quarter of a box of frozen defrosed and drained
1/4 of an onion (I might add more next time, this is just what I had on hand)
a handful of shredded carrots
half of a jar of sundried tomato pesto

First, I sauteed the red pepper, spinach, onion, and carrots until tender. Then, I added that mixture plus the Italian tomatoes (drained) to the food processor. A few whirls and it was still chunky but a nice texture. I took it out and heated it up in a pot and added half of a jar of the pesto. It was so yummy! We had it on top of meatball subs but I am definitely think that next time we will have it on top of spaghetti noodles. It was great and the kids LOVED it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting healthy rich diet protein based recipe here at your blog. As lots of children like soup & among all other tomato soup they like most. It also removes Vitamin C need from the body.

    Allvira,
    ------------------
    Vegan Vitamins

    ReplyDelete