Ever since Adam and I had our 4th child, people have thought we lost our minds. Somewhere, between going from 3 kids to 4 something changes. The world views you differently. Also, the only "logical" reason for us to even have a 3rd child was to try for a girl. Apparently, once we got our magical girl, our family was supposed to be complete.
I firmly believe that everyone has a number of children that works for them-whether it is 0 or 27. Personally, it isn't really my business to judge anyone's number-not only because it is rude but I don't walk a day in anyone elses shoes. I don't know what other families deal with and I don't pretend to. When I was younger, I wanted 6 kids. In college, I wanted 4-2 boys followed by 2 girls. I think a lot about what changed after we had Sutton. Suddenly, our number changed. God showed us, by giving us Abby, that he meant for us to have more children. For those who don't know, Abby came to live with us the week after Sutton was born. We went from a family with 4 kids to a family with 5 kids in a week. It was in those moments of frustration that I realized God has a bigger purpose for all of our children.
It is very clear that Easton's personality (nurturing and loving) was made by God so that he could be Weston's number 1 fan. Weston's personality suits his illness. He is a fighter and a spit fire. He doesn't lt the medical staff ever get a moments rest. Emery and Abby are quite the wild pair. It is a total love/hate relationship but, at the end of the day, they are very best friends. Sutton is just a breath of fresh air. He is such a wild guy. He reminds me of how I think Weston would be if he wasn't sick. And, Avery-well she loves Weston and Weston loves her. Other than Easton, Avery is the next requested sibling to get to visit.
When I see how all of the kids help Weston be so strong and give him so much to live for, I cannot help but question the people who are shocked we are having another baby. I think it is odd the people that come out of the woodwork to give me their 2 cents but also the TONS of people that support us. I lost what I thought was a really good friend over having a large family. I don't really know how we offend people-especially those who I haven't seen in years. It isn't like 1 day I am going to drop all of the kids off at your house and say "OK see you later".
In all of my frustration over losing a "friend" and feeling sad, I have found so many people who love large families. We have felt such support and love from most everyone. That has definitely been a blessing.
So, what is your number? I know our number isn't 7-although I keep telling Adam I am not having anymore kids. I think our number is 8. Adam would have as many kids as I am willing but 8 seems like a great number.
No comments:
Post a Comment