Monday, March 21, 2011
Maybe an animal liker
I am not an animal lover by any means. I feel completely ok without any pets-EVER. Adam, on the other hand, is an animal lover. He got the chickens and then the dog-and we have gotten along quite well. In the last few years, we have been eating more home grown/locally raised fruits, veggies, and meats. Adam wanted to get chickens to raise for eggs and meat and they live in a chicken condo. They are free range all day-until night when we put them up. They roam the field and if you come to the house, expect to be greeted by a few. On our way to Philadelphia, we decided to go to a certified organic farm. I have no idea what the heck I pictured in my mind but WHOA BABY! There were hundreds of "organic" chickens in these greenhouses with tons of rabbits in cages. I am not an animal person by ANY means but even I found this disturbing. I think they were overcrowded (in my super chicken babysitter opinion). The smell and dust was so bad, I could barely stand it. Apparently, there are lots of differences in organic, free range, and cage free birds. Let's not even talk about commercial chicken hatcheries-those are super duper yuck (checkout some Netflix documentaries). I really had no idea-I pictured a certified organic farm to be about like us-chickens runnning around, being carried like babies, pushed in baby carriages, pulled in wagons, etc-but I guess that just happens at our house. It makes me definitely feel better about having our own chickens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The farm that I joined last summer for a CSA had some chickens that they kept in a mobile pen. It was a pretty neat set-up. If you guys are ever in the Knoxville area, I bet I could set up a visit -- the people who run the farm are super nice.
ReplyDeleteEven free-range store bought eggs are usually from chickens with severely limited movement.