After 2 weeks in Philadelphia, we are home. Well, actually we have been home for a week. Adam has worked long hours everyday since we got home so I have been working on trying to get everyone back on schedule. We were still finding our schedule with homeschooling before we left and while we were in Philly, we did what we could when there was some free time. So, Monday morning we started a new "school" routine. Then, my plans came to an abrupt halt. We noticed in Pennsylvania that Easton was mastering his math very quickly. He loved the manipulatives and would zoom through the lessons. On the way home, I got to looking at his math book and he is almost done. ALMOST DONE with what should have taken him a year (can you feel the panic)! So, I have chosen some concepts to work on (money, time, etc) while his 1st grade math gets shipped to us. Which moves us onto Tuesday. Things were going well. Easton has been reading for over a year and it has always been an easy concept for him. I had out our reading program (it has like 20 little books that they kids work through). Well, next thing I know, Easton picks up number 20 and starts reading away. We are going to finish working through the rest of the Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten reading program. He should get done with it this week. Thankfully, when we bought the Kindergarten set, we got the 1st and 2nd grade as part of the kit.
Wonderful things have happened since we started homeschooling. Weston was not the least bit interested in learning until this year. Now, he wants to do school all of the time. The girls are also interested and they all sit around the table so nicely with their "cool" boxes. Sutton could care less what they are all doing. He is just happy to have the toys all to himself. By the end of the day, Weston has done about as much Kindergarten as Easton. Weston is not as advanced with Math or Reading but he enjoys the Science curriculum quite a bit. We also got him his own handwriting curriculum to learn to make his letters. His fine motor skills are quite behind because of his 3 open heart surgeries. He loves making his letters with the wooden pieces and enjoys tracing all of the letters and animals. It is amazing to see how much they love to learn. It has really helped me feel like homeschooling is the right thing for us.
I'm glad it's going so well. I kind of remember Mom doing something where she filled ziploc bags with paint or goo or something and you could trace letters on the outside of the bag. Then just smoosh the bag and do another. It was pretty cool because it felt weird; Weston might like that. I'm sure Mom can give you better details on it.
ReplyDeleteIf you want me to send my old Calc book to Easton, just let me know! ;)